About me |
Congress Organization |
Professional experience |
I'm a researcher (enseignant-chercheur) at CMLA in École Normale Supérieure Paris-Saclay. My main research interest is digital image processing, especially blind noise estimation, blind denoising, compression and, in general, signal processing. I work also on satellite design (specifically, on the SMOS-HR mission), and I'm co-supervising a PhD on detection of falsifications on images and videos.
I'm part of the Editorial Board of the online journal Image Processing On Line (IPOL) and I serve as the technical director of its demo system.
The source code of the IPOL development version along with the LaTeX documentation is available at GitHub:
[IPOL devel official repository]
[Research gate profile] |
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics from Universitat de les Illes Balears, 2014. Thesis: Multiscale Noise Estimation and Removal for Digital Images. Supervisors: Dr. Antoni Buades and Prof. Dr. Jean-Michel Morel. Mark: Summa cum laude. [Doctoral Thesis manuscript]. Coverage at UIB (CAT) and CMLA (FR).
- Computer Science degree, specialization in Computation (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya), 2015. You can download the [degree's thesis] (English) on firmware for the Smart Citizen Kit sensors board and the low-power RTX4100 WiFi module. The [slides of the presentation] (English) are also available. The source codes corresponding to the low-power [RTX4100 WiFi module] firmware and the improvements in the [sensors board] are available in GitHub. This work was the finalist (second position) of the 2nd edition of the UOC-RFM awards.
- Master M2 Mathematics/Computer Vision/Learning (master "MVA", ENS-Cachan, 2010). Master Thesis on multiscale image denoising. You can download the [Master's Thesis] (English).
- Master on Free Software (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya, 2009).
Master Thesis on data edition in distributed environments, using the UniWiki system. In collaboration with INRIA-Nancy (France) and the University Rovira i Virgili. You can download the [Master's Thesis] (Spanish).
- Telecommunications Engineering degree (Universitat de les Illes Balears, 2003).
Degree Thesis on robust and fragile watermarking in images. You can download the [Degree's Thesis] (Spanish).
Main research interests
You can view the publicly available dataset of noise-free test images I created or download them all in a [single ZIP] file.
- Image and video blind noise estimation and denoising;
- non-parametric methods;
- image models. Statistics and structure of natural images;
- hyperspectral satellite imaging;
- satellite design. Specifically, non-regular Fourier sampling for the SMOS-HR mission;
- reproducible Research;
- detection of falsifications/manipulations in images and videos.
I've peer-reviewed articles for the following journals and conferences:
International Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- M. Lebrun, M. Colom, J. Darbon, and J.M. Morel (2018). Numerical Simulation of Landscape Evolution Models. Image Processing On Line. [doi:10.5201/ipol.2018.205] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, A. Buades (2016). Analysis and Extension of the PCA Method, Estimating a Noise Curve from a Single Image. Image Processing On Line. [doi:10.5201/ipol.2016.124] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, M. Lebrun, A. Buades, and J.M. Morel (2015). Nonparametric Multiscale Blind Estimation of Intensity-Frequency Dependent Noise. IEEE Transactions On Image Processing. [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Lebrun, M. Colom, and J.M. Morel (2015). Multiscale Image Blind Denoising. IEEE Transactions On Image Processing. [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, A. Buades, J.M. Morel (2014). Nonparametric Noise Estimation Method for Raw Images. Journal of the Optical Society of America A. [doi:10.1364/JOSAA.31.000863] [Article] [BibTeX]
This paper was published in Journal of the Optical Society of America A (JOSA A) and is made available as an electronic reprint with the permission of OSA. The paper can be found at the following URL on the OSA website: http://www.opticsinfobase.org/josaa/abstract.cfm?uri=josaa-31-4-863. Systematic or multiple reproduction or distribution to multiple locations via electronic or other means is prohibited and is subject to penalties under law.
- M. Colom, A. Buades (2013). Analysis and Extension of the Percentile Method, Estimating a Noise Curve from a Single Image. Image Processing On Line. [doi:10.5201/ipol.2013.90] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, A. Buades (2013). Analysis and Extension of the Ponomarenko et al. Method, Estimating a Noise Curve from a Single Image. Image Processing On Line. [doi:10.5201/ipol.2013.45] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Lebrun, M. Colom, A. Buades and J. M. Morel (2012). Secrets of Image Denoising Cuisine. Acta Numerica, 21, pp 475-576. [doi:10.1017/S0962492912000062] [Article] [BibTeX]
International Peer-reviewed Conferences
- T. Nikoukhah, R. Grompone, M. Colom, J.M. Morel (2018). Automatic JPEG Grid Detection with Controlled False Alarms, and its Image Forensic Applications. 1st IEEE International Workshop on "Fake MultiMedia" (FakeMM'18) April 10-12, 2018, Miami, FL, USA 2016. (Accepted). [Article]
- Y. Kerr, B. Rougé, J.M. Morel, M. Colom, N. Rodríguez-Fernández, E. Anterrieu, F. Cabot, A. Khazaal (2018). SMOS-HR mission: Towards a 10 km resolution radiometer. 15th Specialist Meeting on Microwave Radiometry and Remote Sensing of the Environment (MicroRad 2018). 27-30 March 2018, Cambridge USA.
- M. Arévalo, C. Escobar, P. Monasse, N. Monzón, M. Colom (2016). The IPOL Demo System: a Scalable Architecture of Microservices for Reproducible Research. RRPR 2016: 1st Workshop on Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition. International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR) 2016. [doi:10.1007/978-3-319-56414-2_1] [Article] [BibTeX]
- B. Kerautret, M. Colom, P. Monasse. Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition First International Workshop (BOOK). [doi:10.1007/978-3-319-56414-2_1] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, G. Blanchet, A. Klonecki, O. Lezeaux, E. Pequignot, F. Poustomis, C. Thiebaut, S. Ythier, J.M. Morel (2016). BBD: a New Bayesian Bi-Clustering Denoising Algorithm for IASI-NG Hyperspectral Images. 8th Workshop on Hyperspectral Image and Signal Processing: Evolution in Remote Sensing. [doi:10.1109/WHISPERS.2016.8071745] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, B. Kerautret, N. Limare, P. Monasse, and J.M. Morel (2015). IPOL: a New Journal for Fully Reproducible Research; Analysis of Four Years Development. 7th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security. [Article] [Presentation] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, M. Lebrun, A. Buades, and J.M. Morel (2014). A non-Parametric Approach for the Estimation of Intensity-Frequency Dependent Noise. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP). [doi:10.1109/ICIP.2014.7025865] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Lebrun, M. Colom, and J.M. Morel (2014). The Noise Clinic: a Universal Blind Denoising Algorithm. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP). [doi:10.1109/ICIP.2014.7025541] [Article] [BibTeX]
- M. Colom, G. Facciolo, M. Lebrun, N. Pierazzo, M. Rais, Y. Wang, and J.M. Morel (2014). A Mathematical Perspective of Image Denoising. International Congress of Mathematicians. [YouTube]
- M. Colom and J.L. Lisani (2004). An Improved Frequency-domain Technique for Robust Image Watermarking. IWSSIP'04: International workshop on systems, signals and image processing, ambient multimedia, pp 427-430. [BibTeX]
I'm part of the Organization Team and Chair of the Workshop on Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition (RRPR):
First edition, 4 Dec 2016 Cancún (México)
Second edition, 20 Aug 2018 Beijing (China)
Editor and Scientific Committees
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Image Processing On Line (IPOL);
- Member of the Program Committee of the 20th Iberoamerican Congress on Pattern Recognition (CIARP) 2015;
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 21th Iberoamerican Congress on Pattern Recognition (CIARP) 2016;
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 1st Workshop on Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition;
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the 2nd Workshop on Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition;
- Associate board member of TC18 IAPR Technical Committee on Discrete Geometry and Mathematical Morphology.
- Slides of the C language programming lectures (December 2012 - February 2013), with Samy Blusseau.
- Introduction to GNU/Linux and LaTeX (September 10, 11, 12 2013) with Aude Champmartin and Lara Raad.
- Reproducible Research with Image Processing On Line (IPOL). This course is being taught at several universities and research groups of Latin America in 2015.
Talks and Workshops
- RRPR 2018: 2nd Workshop on Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition, 20 Aug in Beijing (China). I'm coorganizing this workshop within the International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR) 2018, along with Bertrand Kerautret, Pascal Monasse, and Jean-Michel Morel. [Program].
- Present and Future of the IPOL Journal. Machine Learning Applications, keynote, 20 Aug 2018, Beijing, RRPR workshop.
- An Overview of Platforms for Reproducible Research and New Ways of Publications, keynote, 20 Aug 2018, Beijing, RRPR workshop.
- RRPR 2016: 1st Workshop on Reproducible Research in Pattern Recognition, 4 Dec 2016 in Cancún, México. Co-organizer along with Bertrand Kerautret, Pascal Monasse, and Jean-Michel Morel. [Program].
- THORR Workshop (Training ans Hands-On in Reproducible Research Workshop) at the 20th Iberoamerican Congress on Pattern Recognition, Friday 13 and Saturday 14 November, 2015, Montevideo (Uruguay). I taught the THORR workshop on Reproducible Research within CIARP 2015. It included topics such as source code in reproducible research, legal aspects, the IPOL journal, and discussion of particular cases. [Program]
- Open Software Initiative (OSI) day, October 26, 2015, Paris-Saclay Center for Data Science. Talk: [Building a service-oriented platform for online physiological data analysis]
- Computational Photography and Intelligent Cameras, February 4-6, 2015, IPAM, UCLA. I presented a poster on blind multiscale noise estimation and denoising with real images.
- Co-conception de systèmes hybrides : quand l'instrumentation et les traitements numériques se rencontrent, October 31, 2014, Télécom Paris. Talk: Characterization of noise throughout the camera processing chain and denoising of images with unknown noise model.
- Workshop on Reproducible Research in Signal, Image and Geometric Processing, from July 22 to 27, 2013. Fondation des Treilles.
Some of the documents I wrote for the workshop: [Conception and Standarization of Online Executions Tools] | [File Formats and Web Interfaces for 2D and 3D data] | [How to Review and Validate Software].
[Photo of the group].
- Young researchers’ workshop on Statistics, Learning and Variational Methods in Imaging, 20-21 September 2012, DAMTP, University of Cambridge (UK). Talk: the Noise Clinic.
International Research Stays
I have collaborated with several research groups, including:
- TAMI (Mathematical Analisys and Processing of Images) group of Universitat de les Illes Balears, Spain (during my PhD, 2010-2014).
- Facultad de Ingeniería of Universidad de la República, Uruguay (March 18, 19, 20 and April 13, 14, 2015).
- Laboratory for Scientific Image Analysis at the Facultad de Medicina, Santiago de Chile, Chile (from March 23 to April 3rd, 2015).
- Departamento de Computación at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina (from April 10 to April 21, 2015).
- AMI Research Group at the Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain (9-16 September, 2015).
Professional Experience / Certificates
I've worked as an engineer at the following companies: Alta Tecnología Aplicada SL (AltecSoft), Sol Meliá SA (outsourcing from SM2 Baleares SA) and Juniper Consulting.
I obtained the following professional certifications from the Professional Association of Computer Science Engineers of Catalunya (COETIC):
Stay in IS/IT Professional Environment.
And these from the Coursera MOOC Deep Learning Specialization:
Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter tuning, Regularization and Optimization
Neural Networks and Deep Learning
Structuring Machine Learning Projects
Convolutional Neural Networks
(Course final certificate)
These certificates come with a code that allows to verify them against the corresponding certification authority which issued them.
Smart Citizen project
I contributed to the Smart Citizen project by writing embedded C++ code for the firmware of the new boards (version 3). These boards contain sensors (light, sound, gas, humidity, ...) collecting data that can be shared in a queried in real time. The objective of the platform is to serve as a node for building productive open indicators and distributed tools, and thereafter the collective construction of the city for its own inhabitants.
On one hand I wrote the code to use the low-power RTX4100 WiFi module of the new sensor boards ([source code] available in GitHub). On the other hand, I wrote several improvements to the code managing the sensors ([source code] also in GitHub). A complete document with technical details of the project can be downloaded from here: [SmartCitizen Project].
I spent some days coding this [interpreter of Whitespace] (an esoteric, stack-based imperative programming language) written in Python. More info here.
Contribution to fMSX
A contributed with the idea and code of using GZIPped disk images as disks in the fMSX 3.0, an emulator of the historic 8 bits microcomputer MSX.
Tape demodulation and decoding
I'm writing a binary frequency-shift keying (B-FSK) to extract the data from old tapes of 8 bits microcomputers (as MSX, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, ...). The idea is to turn the modulated signal into a stream of 1s and 0s, correct the errors using the prior knowledge of the codification used by each platform and extract the files. It's not finished, but the MSX part seems to work correctly. [Project website]
Notes on electronic instrumentation
I wrote this short manual on electronic instrumentation in 2002 when I was studying the degree on telecommunications. It covers briefly temperature, light, and pressure sensors and it also discusses a bit on linearization circuits (written in Spanish). Note that the website and email address in the document are no longer valid.
Proudly rejected by Google!
On 11/17/2014 I went to Google in Mountain View to make some interviews. At the end I got rejected :S, but still I'm happy because I received positive reviews, even though. It was a good experience, after all. [Picture of my guest badge].
Art and "art"
- I collaborated with Julia Puyo to build El Tiempo Real (The Real Time), an artistic reactive installation involving retrieval of twitts in real time and a mechanical device. It is exposed at the Galería Antonia Puyó from November 18, 2014 to January 15, 2015 in Zaragoza (Spain). Coverage at El Periódico de Aragón
- These are results from some of my experiments. Some of them accidentally and some others on purpose :-)
CMLA, École Normale Supérieure de Cachan
61 avenue du Président Wilson 94235 Cachan cedex, France
Please turn the (d0t) into a dot and the (at) into the @ sign.